As we entered the unit of Shakespeare to be honest I was expecting to feel the way characters do in movies. The whole cliche of how his writing is so boring and doesn't make sense.
On our first few days of the unit we learned about Sonnets, and how to write them. Before we wrote a personal Sonnet as well, we read a few of Shakespeare's to learn about how they sound and the beats and the rhythm and I wasn't too interested.
Then my teacher read us this one Sonnet of Shakespeare's that I remembered reciting in an acting class, Sonnet 18.
Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Thou art more lovely and more temperate:
Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,
And summer's lease hath all too short a date:
Sometime too hot the eye of heaven shines,
And often is his gold complexion dimmed,
And every fair from fair sometime declines,
By chance, or nature's changing course untrimmed:
But thy eternal summer shall not fade,
Nor lose possession of that fair thou ow'st,
Nor shall death brag thou wand'rest in his shade,
When in eternal lines to time thou grow'st,
So long as men can breathe or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.
Reading this Sonnet gave me a different perspective on his writing. To be honest I started liking the unit a lot more once I really tried writing a Sonnet and read more about W.S.
Then the next week we got started on the 'second half' of the unit which was Romeo and Juilet. We started off by learning a bit of the history of the story, and when W.S wrote it.
We soon watched Baz Luhrmann's take on Romeo and Juilet and it really 'touched' me. The story is so emotional and shows how different life was for love back then. I wish there was more stories and plays like this. Something that doesn't have a happy ending but in some way ends right; how you don't know what's happening, how intrigued you are to find out more. And the characters all seem to fit well together and how they all stand in the same place, and have the same connection but they are all so different. Juilet who is a beautiful girl coming from an uptight ruled family. She's looking for love and the one she's supposed to love isn't right. Then there's Romeo who is a spacey boy also trying to find the same thing. And he writes about it, and thinks of it all the time. The Montague and Capulet relationship is what stops the two from being able to free their love and show it in a happy manner. Throughout the movie these two "teams" show there problems in fights, and anger. And soon enough it ends in death; death of Romeo and Juilet, and death of the fighting.
i see you.....
ReplyDeletesrry mad bored
uhh your probably not going to get this message
ReplyDeletecues yuh to busy looking at other people's work....and doing your own work... uhhh so hopefully next week in this class you'll notice the posts... still EXTREMELY bored out of my mind.... hmmmm sooo whats up.?!? have a lot of homework i see
I’m going to start off by saying I liked the last line in this post.
ReplyDeleteGoing something like “the death of Romeo and Juliet was the death of the fighting”. I liked it because it was also the death to your post in some way. Anyhow I wanted to agree with you on how reading Shakespeare work this year, distinctively his sonnets really helped me get in touch with the language and the way Shakespeare writes his work. At first I thought it would be a little like plain and boring…thou art stupid thou foul beast BLAGH. But it really isn’t I’ve grown on it and it’s really poetic and there are always so many different meanings to his work and its so relatable to todays society and connecting to his writing comes easily.
HAHAHAHA DANIEL
ReplyDeleteAnd Sabrina, I agree completely :)