Thursday, January 13, 2011

i would love a secret assignment

As "Fat Boy Rules the World" wasn't working out for me too much I decided to go back to a book that I fell in  love with when it was recommended; "The Year of the Secret Assignments" by Jaclyn Moriarty.
This is a great book in my opinion and it is very funny, it will make you smile, yet has a very touching emotional turn around by the middle-end of the book. There are six different but interesting characters that all end up taking a role for one another.
In this book there are 2 "rivalry" schools that come together in a letter writing fiesta; Emily writes to Charlie who comes off as bit of a rude person, with an odd sense of humor and that ticks her off. Then there is Lydia (who I will further mention) who writes to Sebastian. There relationship comes off to a good start as they share jokes and humorous remarks to each other.
When Emily tries having a deep relationship as well with "Matthew" things don't go to well. He sends her a cruel reply letter; but she tries to get to him by responding just as nice as before.
I don't want to give anything away so I will leave the summary at that, but this is a fun book to read when you need a break from something serious.
Back to Lydia; I really admire her personality. She opens the story with a notebook entry and I loved her witty remarks and the way she writes. Her character wants to be a writer and I've always loved characters and people that can come up with things, like the way she speaks so quickly and well spoken.
When she firsts writes to the Brookfield student (Sebastian)  in her letter there are these funny sentences she states that are obviously not true but her and Seb really hit it off and I loved reading there conversations throughout the book.
I also like Cassie a lot too, the way she speaks is very interesting and you can tell she has a story behind it. I like that about her that she wrote the letter to "Matthew" in a very content yet once again interesting way.
I also admire she didn't really take his reply to offense and she just went ahead and tried again. Her diary entries are different then her letters. She seems to (obviously) hide less in her diary. Her story and relationships in the book come out a lot and I was always a bit nervous yet excited when it got back round to her in the book.
Then last but not least Emily; I wouldn't like to say I liked her character least because that's not true, but there was something about her that didn't want me to come back for more. She was that annual perky character that everyone needs in a book like this.
All and all I really enjoy this book, and I think anyone around my age group would.

No comments:

Post a Comment