Wednesday, May 25, 2011

....blank....

So I'm really disappointed in myself. I haven't been blogging about the books I've been picking up and skimming through.
When I was in Puerto Rico with my friend I decided to bring along a book I had been reading for the past week before we left, "Prep" by Curtis Sittenfield. There was something I really liked about this book, and I'm not gonna lie I'm normally drawn to books that really leave you on edge, or books that have an odd character that experiences something crazy in each chapter.And I mean who wouldn't want that? Any cliff hanging book is  fun to read.
But then I was sitting in Ms. Robbins's room looking through her library and I came accross "Prep". When I was reading the back I learned it was a book about a somewhat normal girl who goes to boarding school. When I heard it took place in one I thought of "Looking for Alaska" (I think I have a post on that?). And I knew that "Prep" wouldn't be like that because it didn't come off as one of those books. I decided to check it out and I actually really liked it.
Lee's character has something completely normal about her but in a way, she's the normal one in this abnormal place. The people she meets come off as something their not and I enjoyed that. The story takes place from her freshman year to her senior year. She learns and comes across many things that not only help her grow as a thinker, but they help her see something more in others that she didn't see before.
And I think that's what I also liked a lot. That this book made you think about things, it wasn't a book where I would just figure out the story and be done; because there were so many things to think about.

2 comments:

  1. Hey really good post! "Prep" sounds like it made you think a lot. You did a good job retelling and inserting your own ideas into the blogpost. It got me thinking that maybe when books push us to form ideas and wrap our minds around new topics, it allows us to not only relate to the character but understand further how these things relate to our lives. No matter the time period age or whatever there are certain things that strike a cord. It's always really cool to find a book like that. I might even check out "Prep"

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should!
    Such a good book :), and yeah I totally agree. Thanks

    ReplyDelete